Friday, November 5, 2010

Country Cake Knife & Server

My mother-in-law and I stopped at HomeGoods the other day, because she had never been. I couldn't stand the injustice of it all so I made sure that she was able to see the wonder that is HomeGoods and all of the treasures that they have. While looking through all of the dishes and holiday ware, I found this cake knife and server set. It is light blue with white snowflakes and was a lowly $6.99, so I picked them up. I didn't want them for Christmas, but I had an idea and thought I could make a craft project out of them.

This is what they started out like, right out of the box.

Close up!

Then, I took the never ending roll of jute that I bought at the very beginning of all of these baby shower crafts, and I started wrapping (and hot glueing) the jute around the base of the knife. It took less than 5 minutes to get the entire thing wrapped and glued. It looked a lot better than what I started off with, but I thought that it still needed something.
I took some red rafia-style material (that I bought to make a bow) and tied a ribbon around it. I didn't like it, so I took it off.

I had found a 6 ft. roll of red bandana print ribbon at Hobby Lobby for 99 cents and haven't found anything to use it on, so I thought this might be the thing! But, I didn't like it, so I took it off. But I really liked the ribbon and wanted to use it, so I cut off a couple of small pieces... And wrapped it around the top and the bottom and hot glued them down. I really liked that a lot better and liked how the red broke up all that brown.
But, of course, I can't leave well enough alone, so I added some rafia.
Because I just love bows and all those different textures! Isn't that cute? Much cuter way to cut a western baby shower cake then a regular 'ol knife!

Happy Crafting and Enjoy Your Weekend Folks!

2 comments:

Heather said...

That's so cute! I would have never thought to do that.

Amanda said...

I LOVE them!! They are so cute and creative!!